NI Sports Forum announce partnership with Vira Hygiene The Northern Ireland Sports Forum is delighted to announce a new partnership... Read More
NORTHERN CRICKET UNION IRELAND – GENERAL MANAGER
The Northern Cricket Union of Ireland (the Union) is the governing body for the game at both performance and participation levels in east and south Ulster, covering both the men’s and women’s game, and for schools’ cricket throughout Ulster.
It is a registered charity and, whilst currently an unincorporated association, intends to incorporate as a company limited by guarantee during 2017. Its current organisational structure comprises a Management Board, headed by the Chairman, to which three Directorates covering Domestic Cricket, Representative Cricket and Finance & Sponsorship report. In an initiative funded by International Cricket Council and Sport NI and as part of the Cricket Ireland’s development strategy, the Union is now seeking to employ a General Manager.
The governance of cricket at a national level has been transformed and has been a critical enabler in the success story that is Irish cricket in recent times. This and the successful establishment of the Inter-Provincial series in 2013 is a key building block towards the long-term vision of Ireland becoming a test nation by 2020. This has placed a focus on how best to structure the administration of the game between Cricket Ireland (CI) and the three provincial unions competing currently in the Inter-Provincial Series.
As well as supporting their teams in competing in the Series, there is a requirement for the Provincial Unions to increase their organisational capability to strengthen their role in the development of the game. Therefore the Union is developing enhanced governance and administrative structures to enhance the scale and scope of its activities in order better to serve the club game in the region.
Where previously the remit of the Union could be managed through a dedicated group of volunteer resources, it is evident that this volunteer base will, in addition, require dedicated professional resource to fulfil their increasing remit. Hence the need for the Union to employ a General Manager to lead the development of cricket in the region, whilst supporting the putting in place of the governance structures described above.
The primary objective of the General Manager is to take forward the implementation of the Union’s Strategic Plan and the effective and efficient conduct of the Union’s day-to-day business.
Within this framework, the General Manager is responsible for:
- The overall strategic and operational management of the Union, in accordance with strategies, policies and plans approved by the Union’s Board
- Leading and inspiring the Union’s existing paid and volunteer workers; recruiting or procuring the recruitment of new employees; giving them direction and leadership toward the achievement of the Union’s aims and objectives; working with Cricket Ireland (CI) on the transition of staff from employment under CI auspices to employment by the Union
- Raising the profile of the Union and attracting increasing financial support from commercial sources, statutory agencies, charitable trusts and any other appropriate source which may include, but are not exclusive to membership schemes, affiliation schemes, individual donations or income derived through the hosting of matches
- Making proposals to the Board and/or Directorates on organisational arrangements and structures, and any other matter relating to the Union.
Strategic Planning and General Management
- Strategic Plan – exercise lead responsibility for the implementation of the Union’s Strategic Plan, and for the preparation of any subsequent plans if relevant, and update the Board and relevant funding stakeholders on progress thereon.
- Operational Plan – prepare an annual Operational Plan setting out key targets and priorities for the year, linked to the achievement of the objectives set out in the Strategic Plan.
- Oversee implementation of the Operational Plan and update the Board and relevant funding stakeholders on progress.
- Oversee the management of the Northern Knights and other representative teams.
- Responsibility for securing the delivery and implementation of Union obligations outlined in service level agreements with CI and other organizations.
Financial Management and Control
- Prepare a draft Budget for each forthcoming year, in line with the Union’s strategic and operational priorities.
- In conjunction with the Honorary Treasurer, report to the Board on performance against budget and other financial matters.
- Ensure that effective arrangements are in place for the allocation of budgets and for the accountable management and monitoring of all financial resources.
Programmes and Policies
- Facilitate and promote policy development through appropriate committees established by the Board for such purposes
- Ensure that an appropriate participative and consultative approach is taken in the development of policy, strategy and business plans, involving all relevant stakeholders.
- Provide progress reports to Board/sub-committees.
- Ensure openness and transparency in communications with members, media, the public and all key stakeholders.
- Lead on and/or manage all matters relating to communication with all key stakeholders including, but not limited to Union members, other Unions, Cricket Ireland, other governing bodies, public and private funding bodies, and media partners.
- Lead and manage all marketing and public relations activities, with the aim of ensuring that the Union and the game of cricket are presented in a positive light to members, the public, the media and key stakeholders.
- Prepare, in liaison with the Chairman, statements to the media regarding matters of policy.
- Act as, or identify, appropriate spokesperson(s) for relevant public communications
- Ensure effective two-way communication with member clubs and schools.
- Ensure that the union is meeting its obligations to its members, and vice versa.
- Ensure that the needs of members are being addressed effectively and responsively
Sponsorship and Grants
- Undertake, or procure, responsibility for seeking and negotiating all forms of sponsorship/commercial partnerships, and for managing relationships with sponsors/ commercial partners.
- Oversee the preparation of grant application submissions to appropriate grant-awarding agencies at local, national or supra-national level.
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including volunteer and other resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach potential funders, submitting proposals, and maintaining appropriate records and documentation.
- Ensure that all relevant statutory requirements are complied with in full by the Union and that appropriate corporate governance arrangements are in place
- Line manage, or procure the line management of, Union staff.
- Undertake any appropriate duties as may be specified by the Board from time to time that might reasonably fall within the purview of the General Manager.
EXPERIENCE and SKILLS REQUIRED
|Educational and Professional Qualifications||Essential||· Educated to degree or diploma level.|
|Desirable||· Holds a relevant qualification in sport or sports management.|
|Previous Experience/ Training||Essential||· Significant experience (min 5 years) of sports development experience at management level, ideally at a range of levels· A successful record in developmental planning and monitoring, and contributing to and implementing strategic plans
· Knowledge of cricket
· Three years’ full-time experience (or part-time equivalent) in line-managing staff, and a record of successfully setting and managing budgets
· Practical experience and demonstrable knowledge of the role that system development plays in game development and growth
|Desirable||· Verifiable record of leading within a multi-disciplinary team in the delivery of services to development groups, clubs, state/province/county.· Experience of the sporting, commercial and governmental environment in Northern Ireland.|
| Job Related
|Essential||· Knowledge and understanding of game development and growth programmes· Willingness to undertake extensive travel around Ireland, and occasionally overseas, and to work unsocial hours including eveningss and weekends
· Persuading and influencing skills
· Must be highly organised with the ability to plan a range of projects and initiatives that must be delivered to tight deadlines
· Experience of presenting/engaging/influencing from grass-roots to senior/Board level
· A full clean current driving licence
|Desirable||· Framing and/or implementation of service-level agreements with relevant stakeholders|
|Inter-Personal Skills||Essential||· Excellent written, verbal, communication, presentation and relationship building skills· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
· Excellent IT skills including the use of Microsoft office, CRM systems and databases
· Excellent organisational, planning and time management skills
· Demonstrable leadership and decision-making skills
· Ability to demonstrate integrity and appropriate working relationships
The selection panel reserves the right to consider Desirable Criteria during the short-listing process should candidates remain on an equal footing using simply Essential Criteria
The package will include a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications, skills and experience, and include pension, a mobile phone and laptop for business use. The candidate will need to have access to a vehicle. Standard mileage rates will apply.
This role is for an initial term of one year with continuation subject to future funding.
The closing date for applications will be Monday 20th February
A detailed letter of application demonstrating clearly how the candidate meets each of the requirements (with details of relevant achievements where appropriate) and full CV (indicating current salary level) should be sent by email to [email protected] with the subject ‘General Manager’ and will be confidential.
- Preliminary interviews will be held at the beginning of March
Staying #ActiveFitSporty during COVID-19
It’s important to stay #ActiveFitSporty during COVID-19 if you are able to. Exercise benefits both your mental and physical wellbeing.... Read More
Active, Fit and Sporty Awards
The Active, Fit and Sporty Awards took place on Wednesday 4th March at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Belfast. The night... Read More